National Hot Cocoa Day
This weekend we made the most delicious hot cocoa for what seems like the most fickle weather in the nation. We have been jumping back and forth from colder temps to warmer temps since fall came and joined us here in “the Boot”.
We enjoyed our hot cocoa before going to see the Christmas lights at Dark Woods Adventure Park, and because we made ours in the crockpot, we had some waiting when we returned.
This recipe is so easy your kids can make it!
(makes 6 servings)
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup white sugar
1/8 tsp of salt
5 cups milk
1/2 cup of heavy cream
Toppings (optional): peppermint candies, marshmallows, chocolate sprinkles, whipped cream
- Bring water to a boil on the stove.
- Combine cocoa powder, sugar, and salt in crockpot.
- Pour hot water into cocoa powder and sugar mixture and stir until combined.
- Add milk and stir until combined.
- Set crockpot to LOW for 1 hour, then switch to WARM.
- Divide cocoa mixture among 6 mugs and add heavy cream to each to bring hot cocoa to drinking temperature.
- Top with your favorite toppings and ENJOY!